Upright Brewing Update: Four Play, Billy the Mountain, Fantasia, more
Upright Brewing dropped a mega update today, announcing details for a number of barrel-aged and unique Pacific Northwest beers coming out of the brewery over the next month or so. Let’s break it down.
- Available on draft ONLY starting Friday, December 20
- $2 a taster, $4 a glass, $17.50 a pitcher
- No growlers
Billy the Mountain:
- Bottles available Friday, December 20
- Upright used a new yeast strain for this batch and they are “digging the change”
- Returns on Friday, December 27
- Upright says this is the “hottest batch yet but not face meltingly or anything”
Wine Barrel-Aged Coffee Stout:
- Brand new beer, debuts Friday, January 3 in bottles
- Bottle release “later in January”
Billy the Mountain 9.1% – Inspired by the great Prize Old Ale once brewed by Gales in England, this beer is deeply malty and full of ripe fruit, leather, wine and oak flavors. The Billy is partially barrel aged with brettanomyces yeast, lending a distinct twang and developing unique aromas over time. Bottled still and best served at about 55F to be finished at room temperature. Cellar for up to five years.
Fatali Four 4.5% – A blend of barrel-aged Four that has fresh homegrown fatali chiles added for a couple months before bottling. It also incorporates light use of brettanomyces yeasts providing a contrasting earthy backdrop for the bright chile flavors. Cellar for up to three years.
Fantasia 5.75% – A barrel fermented beer using fresh peaches from Baird Family Orchards. The Fantasia is firmly tart and hugely aromatic with a character not unlike Belgian fruit lambics. Minimum one year on oak before an extended bottle conditioning prior to release. Will cellar for several years, but best within three.
Upright Brewing is located at 240 N Broadway Suite Two in Portland. Check them out here.